Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memphis Elite- Wade's Erica Sisk helps team to State track title

Lady Chargers win 5A track title

PEARL — Oxford coach Jamie Perkins is getting used to being on top in the world of girls track. Led by another all-around outstanding performance from a bevy of girls, the Oxford High girls track team won a second MHSAA Class 5A state track title on Friday evening
Oxford led Pearl by seven points (89-82) heading into the final race of the meet, the 4×400 meter relay. The Lady Chargers took first in the event by finishing with a season-high time of 4 minutes, 04.92 seconds to leave no doubt about the final point differential over their biggest competitors.
Junior Erika Sisk started the race that was ended by Mary Helen Rychlak and included senior Ann Crabtree and first-time runner, Ann Houston.  Sisk, who ran with both of her legs heavily taped after suffering pulled quadriceps in the North Half meet, started the race by running the first 400 in 57.5 seconds.
“We knew it was going to come down the 4×400 in order to win. Coach said ‘Erika, we need you. You ran a 1:01 (in the 400) crippled, so you can do it.’  When he said that I just got focused  and I ran the best time I ever ran in my life,” Sisk said.  ”I wasn’t thinking about the injuries, I was just doing it for the team. I’m competitive and I love to run. I did what I had to do for my team and for me.” (May 13, 2011)


Click here for complete story
http://oxfordeagle.com/2011/05/lady-chargers-win-5a-track-title/

No comments:

Post a Comment